This museum displays a fossil assemblage of the plesiosaur futabasaurus and other materials excavated at various places around Iwaki in the flush days of the Joban coal field.
The exhibitions reproduce the history of coal mining and life in the coal mines up to the present . There are also hands-on learning opportunities where you can make ammonite specimens and amber accessories.
- 9:00 to 17:00 (Entrance closes at 16:30)
- Entrance Fee
- (Groups of 20 or more in parentheses): General admission: 650 yen (580 yen) University, high school and junior high students: 430 yen (390 yen) Elementary school students: 320 yen (290 yen)
- Each month's 3rd Tuesday
- Zip code
- 3-1 Mukaida, Joban-Yumoto-machi, Iwaki
- Available (including large vehicles)
- By car: About 10 minutes(5km) from Joban Expressway Iwaki Yumoto Interchange.
By public transportation: Get off at JR Yumoto Station on the JR Joban Line and walk for 10 minutes.