Shioyasaki Lighthouse was opened in 1899 as a beacon office. Standing 73 meters above sea level, the chalk lighthouse protects ships with its light beaming 40 kilometers out to sea. Unusually for a Japanese lighthouse, it is open to tourists. Although badly damaged in the Great Tohoku Earthquake, it resumed operating after 9 months on November 30, 2011.After about three years, on February 22, 2014, it was open to the general public and it continues to encourage people as a "Light of Hope" today.
Shioyasaki Lighthouse was chosen for one of the Japan Lighthouse Association's "50 Lighthouses of Japan."
Shioyasaki Lighthouse was featured in the song "Midaregami" by late singer Hibari Misora. It was her first song after recovering from a serious illness. At the base of the lighthouse is Hibari no Sono, a park with monuments to the singer including the Hibari Forever Statue, a portrait monument, and a monument to the song. A sensor activates the song when you stand in front of the song monument. Similarly, the Hibari Forever Statue plays the melody from "Kanashiki Kuchibue." There is also a monument for "Yorokobimo Kanashimimo Ikutoshitsuki" a film about lighthouse keepers that features Shioyasaki.
- 8:30-16:00 (Lighthouse closes at 15:30)
- Entrance Fee
- Junior high age and up: 200 yen / Elementary students and younger get in free
- Days with stong wind or bad weather
- Zip code
- 34 Yadosaki, Usuiso, Taira, Iwaki
- 0246-39-3924 (Shioyasaki Lighthouse Lamplight Committee)
- 50 spaces including large vehicles
- By car: About 40 minutes(25km) from Joban Expressway Iwaki Chuo Interchange
By public transportation: Get off at JR Iwaki Station on the JR Joban Line. Take the bus for IzumiSt or Onahama via Ena, get off at bus stop "Todai Iriguchi" and walk for about 15 minutes.